Friday, September 3, 2010

Jump up and touch the sky


One of my goals in life is to never become stagnant as a music fan. I don't want to be the guy that 20 years from now still only knows songs from the 90's and spends his days trying to tell people how underrated the band Live is. I feel like since I got out of college I've been able to do that through bands like Coldplay, The Killers, Snow Patrol, Ben Folds and U2. But as I look at these bands I've come to a conclusion: they represent myself as an "adult" music consumer. They bring melodies, harmonies and energy but not the raw energy and game changing music that I found with Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and Soundgarden.

Which leads me to ask: what band would be 15-year-old me's favorite? What band might change the way I look at music? I might have an answer.

30 Seconds to Mars is a band that certainly caught my ear on the radio. But that's not what everyone sees first. Lead singer/song writer Jared Leto is an established actor. You might remember him as Angel Face in Fight Club. (I wanted to destroy something beautiful). Well, he should drop the acting gig, cause his music is electric for me.

The first thing I notice is that the music grabs me. It's not just 4 chords of distorted guitar or some riff in drop D tuning like you hear in all the anger rock. Alright, I can get into this music. Then the lyrics. Leto is on a mission to fight for the human spirit. His latest album is called "This is War" and has absolutely nothing to do with war, and everything for fighting for the voice of youth and the spirit and love they bring. Hmmm...I think I'm starting to buy in. Then I saw a video of their live performances.

It is clear that 30 Second to Mars and their fans have a spiritual experience at their shows. That's what sealed the deal for me. I believe music has a very spiritual element to it as well. (Although Leto and I differ as to the source of the spirituality) I want to be in a crowd that has a common purpose and that purpose is greater than "I need to let off all this anger." Yes, I think I would like a 30 Seconds to Mars crowd. (Coincidentally, when they came in concert this past May I was at a Pearl Jam concert. Got to wait your turn new guys)

Below is a video that shows it altogether. I encourage you to give it a watch (since I can't embed official videos) If you can get by the emo teens and the pink mohawk you will see a phenomenon. The type of phenomenon 15-year-old-me was looking for. The type of music current-me is thankful to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQHv-fhHq9Y

No comments: