Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I rock harder than Slash. I got the proof.

REVIEW: Guitar Hero III - 9.0

(1 - 10 scale
1 - don't even rent it
10 - Everyone will enjoy this)

I love the guitar. I play it. I can sing more guitar parts than lyrics to my favorite songs. I also have played Guitar Hero 1 and 2 and thouroughly enjoyed the experience. Guitar Hero III has many changes but still gives meaning to the phrase "You Rock."

If Guitar Hero 2 was the "break out hit" then GH3 is the high budgeted and highly anticipated follow up. It was given a facelift as different producers tried to give the presentation a new feel without changing the gameplay. I will say they did a great job. The "story" behind the career mode was a nice addition, as was the new venues.

The other major addition was the battle mode where you can go head to head with Tom Morrelo, Slash or just a buddy. It is a fun addition, but if you never use this feature the game is still awesome.

The best feature for me was the new songs. Great variety of new and old ranging from 1970 to 2006. I personally enjoyed the inclusion of Pearl Jam, Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins. Long overdue in my mind.

The only detraction for me is you have to unlock songs in co-op one by one, unlike the previous games. So I can't just go straight to "One" by Metallica with a friend. Still, a minor complaint in the grand-scheme of things. I beat the game on medium and I found it challenging enough to think twice before playing on hard.

For all those who think I play too many video games, here is someone playing through fire and flames on expert. Simply stunning.

No comments: