Friday, February 20, 2009

"All these places feel like home."

Snow Patrol

Sounds like: If Jack Johnson or Jason Mraz got a kickin' band and became Scottish, they might sound like this.

Why I like them: Snow Patrol has great lyrics, great music and great melodies. The lyrics are like poetry using great vocabulary and imagery to really paint a picture. But unlike Johnson or Mraz, the lyrics do more than sit on top of the music. The band is a driving force, making each song bigger and better than the lyrics alone.

Dislikes: Because of the emphasis on lyrics and music it sometimes takes 3 minutes to get to a chorus. (most radio songs are 3 minutes long total). Also, because Snow Patrol has a distinctive sound the songs each sound similar.

Final Straw (2004)
4.5 out of 5

This album establishes the Snow Patrol sound right away. The first 5 songs have that mix of drive and lyrics that I love. However, "Chocolate" is the best song for sure. The line "All these places feel like home" is how I feel about this album. Anytime I put it on I know it will make me happy.

Favorite songs: Chocolate, Run, How To Be Dead.

Eyes Open (2006)
5 out of 5

This is a complete album, this is Snow Patrol at their very best. The album is a story of a relationship that starts great, falls apart and looks to be reconciled. The lyrics are more poetic, the music is bolder and the result is remarkable. One of those albums I listen to every time I have a long drive because it makes the time go by faster. And probably one of my 5 favorite albums all-time.

Favorite songs: Hands open, You're All I Have, Open Your Eyes.

A Hundred Million Suns (2008)

3 out of 5

I think the best way to describe this album is solid, but not spectacular. There are a couple of outstanding songs, but otherwise the songs are just each good in there own way. Which makes for a good album, but maybe not one you rave about to your friends. I think this album showcases Snow Patrol's musical abilities more than other albums. The lyrics are....well they exist, but I can't tell you what the songs are about. It happens a lot to me actually.

Favorite Songs: Crack the Shutters, If There is a Rocket Tie Me To It, Take Back the City.

Top 5 Songs by Snow Patrol
Hands Open
Chocolate
Run
Open Your Eyes
Crack the Shutters

No comments: